At Lupa, we strive to seek ways to operate our restaurants more sustainably. One of the methods employed by our team involves the returning and reusing of glass bottles used for 500ml and 750ml still and sparkling water variants. The results of this initiative– spanning from 1 January to 17 November- were supplied by SSS Water Concepts t/a Verve Water and reported amazing findings!
Read more about Lupa’s positive environmental impact in the full report below:
LUPA SALES TRENDS 2022
Herewith are sales trends for the Lupa Group of restaurants as supplied by SSS Water Concepts t/a Verve Water. The evaluated period extends from 1 January 2022 to 17 November 2022. The focus is on 500ml and 750ml glass bottles as supplied in both still and sparkling variants, as well as the empties returned for refill.
THE LUPA GROUP
Total Bottles Sold: 78212 units
Breakdown of Sales by Size:
Breakdown of Sales by Variant:
Total Empty Bottles Returned: 66554 units
Total Empty Bottles Returned expressed as a Percentage: 85%
What is the Environmental impact of recycling 66554 glass bottles a year to date(roughly 1456 bottles per week)?
When plugged into the Glass Recycling Company Energy Calculator, the results reflect as follows.
In a week you recycle 1456 container(s).
That means over the course of a year, you recycle 75920 glass containers.
Which will save 7572708 watts of energy!
What can recycling 1456 container(s) per week do?
Well, it could:
- Light a 5W LED bulb for: 29126 hrs
- Light a compact florescent bulb for 10402 hrs.
- Light a 60W bulb for: 2427 hrs.
- Run a TV for: 485 hrs.
- Run a computer for: 324 hrs.
- That means for a full year, you could:
- Light a 5W LED bulb for: 1514552 hrs / 63106 Days
- Light a compact florescent bulb for: 540904 hrs / 22538 Days
- Light a 60W bulb for: 126204 hrs / 5259 Days
- Run a TV for: 25220 hrs / 1051 Days
- Run a computer for: 16848 hrs / 702 Days
What also needs to be considered is that the empty bottles returned are not RECYCLED but are REUSED, which means even greater benefit to the environment.
Consider the following:
- There were 78212 fewer single-use plastic bottles put into the system, some of which would end up in a landfill.
- There were 78212 fewer plastic sticky labels on the bottles that easily come off and that often end up in rivers and the ocean.
- As it takes roughly 250ml of oil to make a single 1000ml plastic bottle, by using glass…12,4Lt of oil was cut out of the packaging manufacturing process.
- When looking at the O-I Glass Company full lifecycle assessment and carbon footprint study, REUSED glass is 96% more carbon efficient than PET